Microwave cornstarch chunks, also known as “oobleck,” is a fascinating non-Newtonian fluid that behaves as both a solid and a liquid. Here’s how to make microwave cornstarch chunks:
- Prepare a Microwave-Safe Container:
- Start by selecting a microwave-safe container or bowl. Ensure it’s large enough to accommodate the mixture and has high sides to prevent spillage.
- Add Cornstarch:
- Measure out the amount of cornstarch you want to use. You can start with around 1 cup of cornstarch for a small batch, and adjust as needed.
- Mix with Water:
- Gradually add water to the cornstarch while stirring continuously. Start with a 1:1 ratio of cornstarch to water, and adjust as needed to achieve the desired consistency. Keep stirring until the mixture is smooth.
- Microwave in Short Bursts:
- Place the container with the cornstarch mixture in the microwave. Microwave it for short bursts of about 20-30 seconds at a time.
- Stir Between Bursts:
- After each microwave burst, carefully remove the container and stir the mixture thoroughly. Pay attention to the consistency as you stir. The cornstarch chunks should start forming as you heat and stir.
- Continue Microwaving and Stirring:
- Repeat the microwave and stirring process in short bursts until you achieve the desired consistency. You’ll notice that the mixture becomes thicker and more chunky as you continue.
- Test the Consistency:
- To check the consistency, try poking the mixture with a spoon or your fingers. When you apply pressure, it should behave like a solid and resist your force. However, when you release the pressure, it should turn back into a liquid and flow slowly.
- Adjust as Needed:
- If the mixture is too runny, add more cornstarch. If it’s too thick and chunky, add a bit more water and stir.
- Play and Experiment:
- Once you’ve achieved the desired consistency, you can have fun experimenting with the cornstarch chunks. Try pressing, squeezing, or even running your fingers through it to observe its unique properties.
- Dispose of Properly:
- When you’re done playing with the cornstarch chunks, be sure to dispose of them properly. Avoid pouring them down the sink, as they can clog the pipes. Instead, dispose of them in the trash.
Microwave cornstarch chunks are a fun and educational activity for kids and adults alike. Just be aware that they can get quite messy, so it’s a good idea to play with them on a surface that’s easy to clean, and be prepared to wash your hands afterward.