Modifying your vehicle’s lights to stay on when your Ram’s tow mirrors are extended is typically not recommended as it may violate road safety regulations. Tow mirror lights are typically designed to function as turn signals or marker lights when the mirrors are extended, primarily for safety reasons. Keeping these lights on continuously could confuse other drivers and potentially lead to accidents.
However, if you have a specific reason for wanting the tow mirror lights to stay on when the mirrors are extended (such as for camping or as a visual feature), it’s crucial to consider the following:
- Check Local Regulations: Before making any modifications, be sure to check your local and state regulations regarding vehicle lighting. Modifying lights on your vehicle that affect its visibility and signaling capabilities may be illegal in some areas.
- Consult a Professional: It’s highly recommended to consult with an automotive electrician or a professional who specializes in vehicle lighting systems. They can assess the feasibility of the modification and ensure it is done safely and within legal limits.
- Use a Separate Lighting System: If you’re interested in having auxiliary lights for camping or other purposes, consider installing a separate set of lights that can be controlled independently from the tow mirror lights. This way, you can have the additional lighting you need without interfering with the factory-installed lights.
- Switch or Relay System: A professional can install a switch or relay system that allows you to control the tow mirror lights independently. This way, you can turn them on or off as needed while keeping them functional as turn signals and marker lights when driving on public roads.
- Use Temporary Solutions: For occasional use, you can consider temporary solutions such as portable LED lights or magnetic towing lights that attach to the rear of your vehicle when needed and can be removed when not in use.
Again, it’s crucial to prioritize safety and adhere to local regulations when making modifications to your vehicle’s lighting system. Consulting with a professional will help ensure that any changes you make are safe and legal.